08 Jan 2012 Comments Off
Last year I posted some top finds of the previous year and although a bit late I have some things to share. After recovering from how fast 2011 seems to have passed I had a bit of a think about some of the things that have helped / influenced me or just general events of the last year.
- HTC – This year I joined the Android market with my upgrade onto a HTC. I still use the iPhone for work, but for personal use the HTC has been great. There is definitely a rivalry between the two markets, especially it’s buyers. Currently I have a iPhone 3GS and it is definitely fair to say that the HTC Desire S camera is much better. However on some points the iPhone is the winner and others the HTC so a tough call. I wrote about my in depth thoughts earlier on in the year which you can read here.
- Again on a superficial note as a Christmas pulled towards an end we treated ourselves to a Kinect and I cannot recommend it enough. Old news in the games world, but new to our flat and I was very impressed. Using your body as the controller it had me addicted as well as realising quite how unfit I was.
- On a different note 2011 was the year of weddings. The Royal Wedding was a massive event for the country, but this was just setting us up for 3 consecutive weekends of weddings in the summer. Firstly we kicked of with a local one in Guiseley to then travel to London for the second and then the third in Venice, Italy! A eventful month, and all weddings did some something a bit different, all from a variety of cultures. My tip for dealing with three weddings in such quick succession is to not panic about the outfits!
- 2011 was also the year that the company I work for, SimpleUsability, turned 10. This meant a surprise trip to Dublin for the team. A memorable couple of days as we attacked the high wires at an extreme adventure place. This was followed by a night out in Dublin and all in all a great team trip. If you get the chance to pay Dublin a visit then it is worth checking out xtreme.ie
- Whilst working this year a leaflet appeared in the building advertising a new gym in the area, Motive8, but with a difference. Although you can use it as a regular gym there is also the option to attend classes and I have become a regular visitor to dance areobics and circuits. The classes are really good value and if you are looking for a more social approach to working out this is a perfect choice.
- This year I have got more involved in writing for the various online music publications in Leeds. Most memorably I met a lovely local band that goes by the name of Maggie8 as well as some more famous artists such as Thom from The Naked and Famous and Benjamin Francis Leftwich. I hope that 2012 brings more interviews and great chats with fascinating people. I love talking to people who are passionate about music so a perfect past time to engage in. I have also seen some amazing gigs, most that I have reviewed and I can’t wait for another year of great gigs.
- This year we have stepped up the process of house hunting. Together with excitement and anticipation there comes a lot of stress and anger at estate agents. 2012 hopes to bring the actual purchase of a house so watch this space…
- Reality TV has become sort of an addiction, but I don’t really like to admit it! This year I seem to have found myself watching more and more of it, presumably because more of it seems to appear on the tv. I can only assume that either reality tv or these strange documentaries such as The Hotel will become more popular in 2012.
- On the beauty side of things I have found shellac. Similar to the kinect it is not a new invention, but just before Christmas I booked myself for one and the results have been very impressive. The colour has stayed shiny and with minimal chipping for a good two weeks. I will definitely be indulging in this again.
- Following on from my discoveries in 2010 I still love my deals. My shellac nails only cost £10 and I have also had my hair done for not much more. I sign up to all of them and everyday there is a new one to find. My favourites are Living Social deals and KGB but I am open to any other new discoveries. I can only imagine that this will continue into 2012 as I love having a treat especially if you get it for a cheap price.
To follow on from this I hope to make a few music predictions for the new year and maybe even a few resolutions.